In a statement today, the ACM expressed "its solidarity with the photographer's family and the Haitian journalists wants the Haitian authorities to conduct a thorough investigation on this issue.”
The National Association of Haitian Media (ANMH), this week said they were concerned at the silence of the police and judicial authorities following the disappearance of Legagneur.
The ANMH noted that on March 14, Legagneur left for an assignment in Grand-Ravine, in the district of Martissant an area where gang activity have been particularly violent.
The Haitian media group called on the Director General of the Haitian National Police and the Commissioner of the jurisdiction of Port-au-Prince “to make every effort to find Vladjimir Legagneur and reassure his family, his loved ones and his colleagues”.
The ANMH observed that many officials including the Minister of Culture of Communication, Limond Toussaint, have expressed concern about Legagneur's disappearance he is yet to be found and Toussaint's statement that the police and judicial authorities “are hard at work “is the first official reaction of the government in this matter.
National Police of Haiti (PNH), spokesman Frantz Lerebours, said the authorities have received no information regarding the journalist's disappearance.
“In such cases, without a ransom demand, we fear a fatal outcome,” he said, adding “the situation is very worrying but we cannot presume of his death without having found his body.”
Earlier this week, hundreds of people including journalists took to the streets urging the authorities to continue the search for the 30-year-old photojournalist.
His wife, Fleurette Guerrier, said she always stayed in contact with him whenever he went out on risky assignments. She said that when she called him and got no response hours after he had left the house March 14, she contacted police.
Legagneur worked for the newspaper Le Matin and online news agency LoopHaiti before becoming a freelancer for local media and non-governmental groups.
- Countries: Haiti