Wiredja Online News Logo

WiredJa Online News

Wiredja Online News Logo

WiredJa Online News

Log in

HAITI | Media groups condemn threat made against journalist

Mayor of Les Cayes, Jean Gabriel Fortuné Mayor of Les Cayes, Jean Gabriel Fortuné
PORT AU PRINCE, Haiti, Aug 9, CMC – Media groups in Haiti have condemned the death threats allegedly made by the Mayor of Les Cayes, Jean Gabriel Fortuné, against a radio journalist, saying it brings back an era that is “rather sad in the history of the country”.

The Association of Haitian Journalists (AJH) said that the threats had been made on several occasions against journalist Jean Nazaire Jeanty, of “Lebon FM” for his reports on matters relating to a festival here.

Fortune Mayor

In a statement, the AJH said that the threats remind of a “certain nostalgia…of a bygone era and rather sad in the history of the country”.

The AJH said that this era was marked by the use of secret services by the authorities to decide the life or death of citizens.

President of the National Association of Haitian Media (ANMH), Frantz Duval, said he was “appalled by the virulence of the words of the Mayor of Les Cayes” denouncing what he also termed his “unspeakable behaviour”.

Duval said he was also shocked at the silence of the judicial authorities of Les Cayes on this issue and calls on them to assume their responsibilities.

The Association of Independent Media of Haiti (AMIH) has also condemned the death threats against e Jeanty.

“The Association of Independent Media of Haiti condemns with the utmost rigor the death threats uttered by the Mayor of Les Cayes Jean Gabriel Fortuné against the journalist Jean Nazaire Jeanty”.

The AMIH said that the statements by the Mayor gave the impression that he had the right of life or death over the journalist and urged media groups, journalists and other media professionals to remain united in a bid to force an apology from the Mayor.

  • Countries: Haiti