Prime Minister Holness who arrived in Haiti this morning, will lead Jamaica’s position on several matters key to regional integration. In addition to the impact of Crime and Violence and the full implementation of the CARICOM Single Market and Economy (CSME), Holness will also lead discussion on Disaster Management, Climate Change Financing and Tourism in the Region.
The Prime Minister will also use the inter-sessional to engage his colleague Heads of Government on the findings of the CARICOM Commission which reviewed Jamaica’s relations within CARICOM and CARIFORUM.
The Commission which was chaired by former Prime Minister Bruce Golding, identified aspects of the Treaty of Chaguaramas, which established CARICOM, that have not met their intended objectives toward integration.
The report was reviewed by the Cabinet prior to it being tabled in Parliament earlier this month. It is expected that the report will be debated in Parliament.
In the meantime, Prime Minister Holness is to present a discussion paper on the impact of crime and violence in Jamaica and the wider region.
This is intended to begin dialogue on a strategic regional approach to security matters in particular combatting the impact of crime and violence.
The discussions come ahead of Jamaica assuming the Chair of CARICOM in July.
The Prime Minister is accompanied by Minister of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade Senator Kamina Johnson Smith, Director, Caribbean and Americas Department in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade Angella Comfort, Press Secretary Naomi Francis and personnel from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade.
The Prime Minister returns to the island this evening.
During his absence the Minister without Portfolio in the Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation, Dr. Horace Chang will be in charge of Government.
- Countries: Haiti
- JAMAICA | People not impressed by Holness/JLP performance says RJR/Gleaner Poll
- Executive and Judiciary Must Work Together to Transform Justice System – PM Holness
- JAMAICA | Government Building Systems to Protect Citizens – PM Holness
- CARICOM States sign agreements deepening regional integration movement
- CARICOM | United States 'Dis' CARICOM Meeting in Haiti
Latest from Calvin G. Brown
- Trump fires Rex Tillerson-Pompeo new Secretary of State
- ANTIGUANS go to the polls on March 21, Sign of failure says UPP
- Why Africa Needs to Start Focusing on the Issue of Mental Health
- JAMAICA | Holness firm on CJ's acting appointment but legal pressure mounts
- JAMAICA | New Acting Chief Justice Calls for More Investment in Technology