On Wednesday, the ICE said the official cause of death has not yet been determined.
Luis Ramirez-Marcano, 59, was transported February 17, to KRMC when ICE Health Service Corps (IHSC) medical personnel at the Krome Detention Center determined he should be taken to an emergency room for treatment after complaints of abdominal pain.
Later that day, ICE said staff at KRMC admitted Ramirez-Marcano for further evaluation and treatment.
The following day, ICE said medical staff at KRMC informed its staff that Ramirez-Marcano was transferred to the intensive care unit, “where his condition continued to decline.
“Despite round-the-clock care, Ramirez-Marcano passed away the afternoon of February 19,” ICE said.
Consistent with agency protocols, ICE said the appropriate state health and local law enforcement agencies have been notified about the death, as have the US Department of Homeland Security’s Office of Inspector General and the ICE Office of Professional Responsibility.
Additionally, ICE said it has advised Cuban Embassy representatives.
Ramirez-Marcano had been in ICE custody since January 12 pending his removal to Cuba.
Ramirez-Marcano is the third detainee to pass away in ICE custody so far this year.
- Countries: Cuba
- US to Impose New Sanctions on Iran, 'Will Unite Iranian Nation'
- Maduro: Venezuela Sitting on 2nd Biggest Gold Reserve on Earth
- U.N. Wants to Know Living Conditions of Migrant Children in USA
- Detained U.S. Asylum Seekers Must Get Parole Reviews, Judge Says
- Immigration – 6 US ICE Immigrant Arrest Facts That Will Shock You