According to the lawyers, such a sentence was based mainly on an email, imposed in a trial marked by gross nonentities and besides it is incompatible with the legal description of the crimes attributed to the former president (passive corruption and money laundering).
The sentence was issued when the political campaign for the presidential elections is heating up, and Lula is leading by a large margin all the polls.
Under threat of military coup, Brazil's Supreme Court issued a verdict to send Lula to prison. In a split 5-6 ruling the Court validated a 12-year-prison sentence the former president should begin serving immediately.
Such verdict 'is one more in a series of blows against Brazilian democracy,' stressed Brazilian political analyst Brian Mier.
- Countries: Latin America
- Brazilians Worry over Health Gap Due to Departure of Cuban Doctors
- BRAZIL | Bolsonaro wins Brazil election, promises to purge leftists from country
- BRAZIL | Temer accused of heading " a criminal organization"
- UN Committee VP: Decision on Lula's Politcal Rights is "Legally Binding"
- Thousands in Brazil March to Register Lula's Candidacy