After taking the Oath of Office, the MP was welcomed by Prime Minister, the Most Hon. Andrew Holness, as well as other Members of Parliament on both sides of the House.
Dr. Clarke was sworn in following his victory in the by-election held on Monday, March 5. This followed the retirement of the Hon. Derrick Smith from representational politics.
As a result of the by-election, the ruling Jamaica Labour Party retains its 33-30 majority in the Lower House.
Dr. Clarke previously served in the Upper House of Parliament as a Senator, and his record of public service also includes serving as Chairman of the HEART Trust/NTA and as a Director of various public bodies.
A former Rhodes, Commonwealth and Jamaica Independence Scholar, Dr. Clarke holds DPhil. and MSc. Degrees in Mathematics and a BSc. Degree in Mathematics and Computer Science from the University of the West Indies.
- Countries: Jamaica
- Ministers found in contempt of parliament over legal advice – why it matters for Brexit
- JAMAICA | Tempers flare, Holness Updates Parliament on Petrojam
- JAMAICA | Gov't amends proposal for 4-year negotiating cycle
- JAMAICA | Opposition Vexed by Govt's Voter Re-verification Delay
- TRINIDAD-Former PM, Kamla Persad-Bissessar ejected from Parliament