On Monday evening the National Security Ministry issued a statement announcing the appointment of a new board for the FLA.
But yesterday, National Security Minister Robert Montague issued another statement, clarifying that Cabinet had merely discussed the appointment of the new board and explaining that the release announcing the appointment had been sent out prematurely.
“I have not appointed the Board of the FLA… I leave the island today to attend an international conference. On my return I will return the decision to the Cabinet to finalize the discussions and execute the instruments of appointment,” the Minister said.
Earlier on Tuesday morning, Mr. Montague had issued another statement, announcing that Dennis Wright, former Chairman of the FLA, had declined the appointment to the new board of the state agency.
Mr. Wright was one of five members named in the Monday evening release as members of the new board.
In his first Tuesday morning statement, Montague said a young investment banker was being considered as a replacement for Mr. Wright.
He said the name of the prospective member has been submitted for security vetting.
The statement did not provide a reason for Mr. Wright's refusal to serve.
The former board, led by Dennis Wright, resigned on August 2, following reports that the entity had granted firearm licences to individuals of questionable character.
The Monday evening statement had named a five-member board, to be chaired by National Security Advisor Major General Antony Anderson, with the others being retired civil servant Ena Rose, retired Senior Superintendent of Police Albert Edwards, and retired Senior Puisne Judge Justice Marva McIntosh, as well as Dennis Wright, whose withdrawal was subsequently announced.
- Countries: Jamaica