In his Letter to Dr. Phillips, Mr. Holness said he wanted to arrive at an agreement with Dr. Phillips which would result in continuation of the State of Emergency security measure.
Mr. Holness said private citizens and civil society have stated that the government and opposition should be united in the fight against crime. He said they have expressed the view that the security measure should continue.
Dr. Phillips However, in his response to the Prime Minister, said his team, in discussion with stakeholders, have found that there was an overwhelming consensus among that the use of emergency powers was not the only way to control criminal activity.
He added that "most of the powers available under a State of Emergency are permitted under other legislation, which will allow for the implementation of solutions beyond usual law enforcement measures."
- Countries: Jamaica
- JAMAICA | Phillip to launch his “One PNP – Powerful Together” campaign on June 27
- JAMAICA | Venezuela's Guaido asks Holness not to seize PDVSA refinery shares
- Jamaica and Ghana Arranging Reciprocal Visa Free Travel
- JAMAICA | Gov't Investigating Treatment of Ja Fishermen by US Coast Guard
- JAMAICA | Richard Byles is the new governor of the Bank of Jamaica