In a release today, Shadow Minister of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade, Ms. Lisa Hanna, said “We believe that the recognition of the leader of the National Assembly as interim President is a dangerous precedent which constitutes a grave departure from international practice.”
The Party is also concerned that recent developments could lead to military conflict which will be destabilizing to the Caribbean region which has enjoyed a tradition of peaceful coexistence.
Ms. Hanna said, “The People’s National Party maintains its strong and principled stance of non-interference in the internal affairs of sovereign States and that the solution to this situation in Venezuela must ultimately rest with the Venezuelan people.”
Ms. Hanna reiterated her Party’s position that as their brothers and sisters, we are obliged to assist to find a solution within a peaceful framework.
“We are mindful of the plight of the Venezuelan people at this time and note that a neighbouring CARICOM country is offering humanitarian assistance to persons who’ve crossed its border.
We strongly urge the Government of Jamaica and CARICOM to urgently mobilize support for a coalition to offer assistance to the Government and Opposition in Venezuela, to broker a peaceful resolution for the sanctity of sovereignty, the conflict of governance, and the protection of human rights” Ms. Hanna said.
- Countries: Jamaica
- JAMAICA | Holness Hails Sir Alister as a Foremost Actor in the Caribbean's Evolution
- GUYANA wants the Int'l Court to proceed with its border hearing against Venezuela
- Can Jamaica be trusted in matters of international relations?
- IMF Executives Fail to Recognize Guaido as Venezuela's ‘Interim President’
- JAMAICA | Gov't explains vote for Guaido's nominee at OAS