A press release from Prime Minister Mia Mottley said she was informed by way of a letter by Member of Parliament for St Michael West, Bishop Joseph Atherley of his intention to serve in Opposition to the BLP Government.
The Bishop will now become the leader of the Opposition.
“This was further confirmed by letter from her Excellency the Governor General Dame Sandra Mason,” the brief statement said.
The development follows the naming by Mottley of her 30-member Cabinet last weekend with Atherley, who is head of the Evangelical Holiness Christian Community Church, being a glaring omission.
Today, St George North MP Gline Clarke also expressed disappointment over being left out of the Cabinet but said he would not be crossing the floor.
- Countries: Barbados
- BARBADOS | 1,500 public sector workers to be laid off
- BARBADOS | Canadian Firm buys Sol Investments in a US$1.21 billion deal.
- BARBADOS | We must never forget the 1976 "Cubana 455" tragedy says Husbands
- BARBADOS | Small Business Minister supports idea of a Credit Union Bank
- BARBADOS | Oversight C'tee set up to monitor Gov't economic performance