The Secretary General has asked both Georgetown and Caracas to allow the “Good Offices” process to continue for a year before sending the matter to the International Court of Justice (ICJ).
Speaking at the MOFA’s annual dinner and Christmas party, Granger said that this is a moment of relief for all the people, who have been working hard to ensure an end to the claim on Guyana’s territory.
“Last Friday we heard a very important announcement, which is perhaps one of the brightest parts in our 50 year history of Independence that the matter of the territorial controversy will be taken to the court.
“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and generations of Foreign Service Officers (and) Ambassadors have worked over the years to have this result. I think it is a moment of joy, not of boasting, but a moment of relief to the people, who have worked so hard and I feel very proud of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Foreign Service Officers,” he said.
In a statement, the UN Secretary General, who demits office at the end of this month, said 50 years ago, shortly before Guyana’s independence in 1966, the Geneva Agreement was signed with the aim of amicably resolving the controversy that had arisen as the result of the Venezuelan contention that the Arbitral Award of 1899 is null and void.
He said the 1966 Geneva Agreement confers on the Secretary-General of the United Nations the power to choose means of settlement of the controversy from among those that are contemplated in Article 33 of the United Nations Charter.
“Within the framework of the Geneva Agreement, a Good Offices Process under the Secretary-General has been in place for the last 25 years in order to find a solution to the controversy. This process has so far involved three Personal Representatives of the Secretary-General (PRSG). In spite of these efforts, it has not been possible to bridge the differences between the parties. “
Last week Georgetown said it welcomed the Secretary General’s statement, warning “if, at the end of that period, the Secretary-General concludes that significant progress has not been made towards arriving at a full agreement for the solution of the controversy, he will choose the International Court of Justice (ICJ) as the next means of settlement, unless the Governments of Guyana and Venezuela jointly request that he refrain from doing so”.
- Countries: Guyana
- ST. LUCIA | Visa restrictions on Venezuelans not politically motivated, says Chastanet
- Venezuela requests Julio Borges’ extradition from Colombia
- Nicolas Maduro presents evidence of assassination attempt
- How does the blockade against Venezuela manifest? Part I
- GUYANA | Post-judgment application in Guyana land appeal dismissed by CCJ