Jagdeo’s announcement came three days after claiming a popular vote victory in Monday’s local government elections. However the results show that APNU captured 18,127 votes; PPP 7,050 and AFC 3,059, United Republican Party 106 and the GNS Party 94.
Political pundits claim that Jagdeo's no confidence move at this time is an effort to repay the APNU for the 2014 a motion of 'No Confidence' which had been lodged in Parliament against the then ruling PPP government by the AFC’s Nagamootoo, and which eventually triggered the end of the PPP/C’s near 23 years in office.
With APNU and the AFC holding a one-seat majority in Parliament, the then President Donald Ramotar had prorogued Parliament to avoid having his government fall. Parliament was eventually dissolved and general elections called in May 2015.
- Countries: Guyana
- GUYANA | Georgetown will remain on LIAT's schedule after restructuring
- GUYANA | GYD$3.4 billion parliamentary approval for electoral polls not connected to CCJ decisions – Finance Minister
- GUYANA | APNU+AFC wants Facebook to block PPP political ads calculated to rig elections
- GUYANA | CCJ reserves judgment in challenge to Appeal Court decision
- GUYANA | CCJ deliberating matters involving Dec. 21 No-confidence Vote