In a statement last night, Dr. Phillips says this unprecedented act boggles the mind as to the quality of legal advice being provided to the Prime Minister.
"This should never happen in any self respecting democracy without someone being held accountable," Dr. Phillips said.
He called on the Prime Minister to provide a proper explanation to the citizens as to how an election date could have been announced before a thorough check for compliance with provisions of the Representation of the People Act.
The Opposition Leader said he held discussions with the legal advisers of the People's National Party and is now satisfied that the new Nomination date complies with the law.
Dr. Phillips said it is unfortunate that the Prime Minister's terse announcement this evening did not even contain an apology for this disrespect as many had put in place personal arrangements for both Nomination and Election dates.
He said regrettably it has become common place for the Prime Minister and his government to pay scant regard to the people and the Jamaican Constitution in many of their decisions.
- Countries: Jamaica
- Georgia Sex Trafficking Ring Targets Young Girls From Jamaica
- DIASPORA | Atlanta Evening of Elegance to Raise Education Funds for Jamaican Youth
- JAMAICA | Contract work practice betrays eight decades of workers achievement - Phillips
- JAMAICA |Tourism Industry to Benefit from Management Programme in Schools
- JAMAICA | Technology Minister Calls for More Women in Technology