In a statement last night, Dr. Phillips says this unprecedented act boggles the mind as to the quality of legal advice being provided to the Prime Minister.
"This should never happen in any self respecting democracy without someone being held accountable," Dr. Phillips said.
He called on the Prime Minister to provide a proper explanation to the citizens as to how an election date could have been announced before a thorough check for compliance with provisions of the Representation of the People Act.
The Opposition Leader said he held discussions with the legal advisers of the People's National Party and is now satisfied that the new Nomination date complies with the law.
Dr. Phillips said it is unfortunate that the Prime Minister's terse announcement this evening did not even contain an apology for this disrespect as many had put in place personal arrangements for both Nomination and Election dates.
He said regrettably it has become common place for the Prime Minister and his government to pay scant regard to the people and the Jamaican Constitution in many of their decisions.
- Countries: Jamaica
- JAMAICA | Opposition wants Greater Investment in Jamaica’s Human Capital
- JAMAICA | PNP to host national stakeholders meeting on crime, corruption
- JAMAICA | Financier Alison Roach Wilson appointed Jamaica’s New Consul General to New York
- JAMAICA | High Demand for Jamaican Workers in Michigan Hospitality Sector
- JAMAICA | PNP Oppose States of Emergency as Crime Plan for the next seven years