Magerssa is currently occupying the post of OPDO vice president, but holds his post as president of the Oromia region. Meanwhile, Abiy Ahmed, former minister of Science and Technology, became the vice president of OPDO, one of the groups that shape the Government coalition, under the leadership of Magerssa.
The post of prime minister remained vacant after Hailemariam Desalegn resigned a week ago.
The governing Ethiopian People's Revolutionary Democratic Front (EPRDF) is expected to elect, in its conference next month, the next official successor to Desalegn, who will continue in the post until that decision is made.
The four parties in the EPRDF are OPDO, the Amhara National Democratic Movement, the Tigrayan People's Liberation Front (TPLF) and the Southern Ethiopian People's Democratic Movement (SEPDM).
Desalegn was a SEPDM member, while the last head of Government, Meles Zenawi, was a TPLF member.
The coalition has 100 percent of the seats in Parliament and the country should return to the polls for presidential elections in 2020.
- Countries: Africa
- Rising Epidemic of Hungry Children in Africa: Report
- US still sees Africa as important. But it must learn from past mistakes
- The story of Oromo slaves bound for Arabia who were brought to South Africa
- CARICOM extends hope and comfort to Ethiopians following deadly plane crash
- The revealing story of Afro-Palestinians and how they made Jerusalem their home