Malam Shuaibu Biri says the Islamic insurgents wearing military fatigues drove in five pickup vehicles and motorcycles to villages in Gombe state and shouted at people to leave or risk being killed.
Nigeria's home-grown extremists have threatened to disrupt the elections, saying democracy is a corrupt Western concept.
The Defense Ministry on Friday announced it had destroyed Boko Haram's headquarters in neighboring Borno state and driven the extremists from its strongholds in the states of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe.
Nigerians are turning out in their millions to vote in an election analysts say is too close to call between President Goodluck Jonathan and former military dictator Muhammadu Buhari.
- US still sees Africa as important. But it must learn from past mistakes
- GUYANA| Granger describes his meeting with Jagdeo as fruitful
- GUYANA | GECOM not prepared for March election
- GUYANA | General Elections could be held in July, March ruled out by GECOM
- The World Bank needs deep reforms to reflect a changing world order