Mike Pompeo, Director of the CIA, will become our new Secretary of State. He will do a fantastic job! Thank you to Rex Tillerson for his service! Gina Haspel will become the new Director of the CIA, and the first woman so chosen. Congratulations to all!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 13, 2018
The president also nominated Gina Haspel to become the first female director of the CIA.
Mr Tillerson reportedly learnt about his dismissal via Trump’s favourite medium of communication – Twitter.
Thanking Mr Tillerson for his service on Twitter, Mr Trump said the new state secretary would do "a fantastic job".
Mr Tillerson, a former chief executive of ExxonMobil, was only appointed to the job just over a year ago.
Speaking to reporters outside the White House shortly afterwards, Mr Trump said his differences with Mr Tillerson came down to personal "chemistry".
"We got along actually quite well, but we disagreed on things… When you look at the Iran deal, I think it's terrible. I guess he thought it was OK. I wanted to either break it or do something and he felt a little bit differently, so we were not really thinking the same. With Mike, Mike Pompeo, we have a very similar thought process. I think it's going to go very well,” he said.
The Department of State said Mr Tillerson had not spoken to the president and was "unaware of the reason" for his firing.
Under Secretary Steve Goldstein said: "The Secretary had every intention of staying because of the critical progress made in national security."
Tillerson visited Jamaica on March 7 and discussed several matters with his host, Prime Minister Andrew Holness, including strengthening of security cooperation, boosting the US Jamaica economic partnership, energy security and various regional issues affecting CARICOM and the economic and political situation in Venezuela.
- Countries: United_States
- JAMAICA | Gov’t Working With US to ‘free-up’ Medicinal Cannabis Money
- Central American Exodus Migrants Sue Trump Over Human Rights
- Apartheid, guns and money: book lifts the lid on Cold War secrets
- US to Impose New Sanctions on Iran, 'Will Unite Iranian Nation'
- UNITED STATES | Nikki Haley Resigns as Trump's UN Ambassador
Latest from Calvin G. Brown
- Brazilians Worry over Health Gap Due to Departure of Cuban Doctors
- JAMAICA | IMF says economic growth remains subdued despite positive trend
- TRINIDAD | Angostura execs’ wild spending exposed
- JAMAICA | Crawford calls for special action against child killers
- IAAF | Nominees Announced for Male Athlete of the Year 2018