Microcephaly is a birth defect where a baby’s head is smaller than expected when compared to other babies of the same sex and age. Zika is listed as one of several causes of the condition.
The other causes include chromosomal disorders such as Down’s syndrome, maternal viral infections such as rubella and maternal alcoholism or drug abuse.
Health authorities here said that the microcephaly case was discovered last Friday and brings to four, the number of such cases recorded here.
However, the official say none of the three previous cases was Zika-related.
- Countries: St_Lucia
- ST. LUCIA | Government to conduct survey on bilharzia
- ST. LUCIA | Chastanet to present first budget of his administration to Parliament
- ST. LUCIA | PM defends position on Citizenship by Investment Programme
- CARIBBEAN | OECS leaders meet in St. Kitts
- ST. LUCIA | Opposition queries accounting firm's role in Budget preparation