Microcephaly is a birth defect where a baby’s head is smaller than expected when compared to other babies of the same sex and age. Zika is listed as one of several causes of the condition.
The other causes include chromosomal disorders such as Down’s syndrome, maternal viral infections such as rubella and maternal alcoholism or drug abuse.
Health authorities here said that the microcephaly case was discovered last Friday and brings to four, the number of such cases recorded here.
However, the official say none of the three previous cases was Zika-related.
- Countries: St_Lucia
- Australian Experiment Cuts Dengue Mosquito Population by 80%
- Saint Lucia and Grenada agree to fund LIAT, St Kitts says no — report
- Saint Lucia takes over chairmanship of CARIFORUM from St. Kitts and Nevis
- Caribbean Countries Need Each Other says Mottley
- ST.LUCIA - Guy Joseph flays SLP gov’t for $3M investigation, attacks against his wife