Microcephaly is a birth defect where a baby’s head is smaller than expected when compared to other babies of the same sex and age. Zika is listed as one of several causes of the condition.
The other causes include chromosomal disorders such as Down’s syndrome, maternal viral infections such as rubella and maternal alcoholism or drug abuse.
Health authorities here said that the microcephaly case was discovered last Friday and brings to four, the number of such cases recorded here.
However, the official say none of the three previous cases was Zika-related.
- Countries: St_Lucia
- Saint Lucia wants parties to the Montreal Protocol to act quickly in addressing global warming
- ST. LUCIA | Attorney calls for putting judicial house in order before CCJ switch
- ST. LUCIA | PM Chastenet shuffles his Cabinet "for greater efficiency"
- ST. LUCIA | Visa restrictions on Venezuelans not politically motivated, says Chastanet
- Australian Experiment Cuts Dengue Mosquito Population by 80%