Richards matched Hughes stride for stride with about 30 metres to go, when Hughes flayed his left arm and smacked Richards in the face.
The blow caused Richards to lose momentum as Hughes tipped him in a photo finish for the gold. Both sprinters were credited with a time of 20.12.
Upon official review, however, Hughes was disqualified and Richards upgraded to gold.
The decision is currently being protested by England.
- Countries: Trinidad_Tobago
- TRINIDAD | Buggery Law Unconstitutional says High Court
- Jamaica's Praught wins historic Steeplechase gold
- 'You don't replace Muhammad Ali', Coe blasts Bolt 'obsession'
- TRINIDAD | Former T&T security minister backs probe into Cambridge Analytica
- TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO | No IMF under my watch says PM Rowley