Richards matched Hughes stride for stride with about 30 metres to go, when Hughes flayed his left arm and smacked Richards in the face.
The blow caused Richards to lose momentum as Hughes tipped him in a photo finish for the gold. Both sprinters were credited with a time of 20.12.
Upon official review, however, Hughes was disqualified and Richards upgraded to gold.
The decision is currently being protested by England.
- Countries: Trinidad_Tobago
- CARIFESTA XIV to be launched in Trinidad and Tobago Tuesday
- Venezuela Confirms Trinidad Oil Pact at International Forum
- TRINIDAD | Imbert says Economy will suffer if Petrotrin is prevented from moving forward
- TRINIDAD | Court grants OWTU injunction to keep PETROTRIN open, Gov't seeks funding
- TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO | Smuggling persons not a criminal offence in TT