Richards matched Hughes stride for stride with about 30 metres to go, when Hughes flayed his left arm and smacked Richards in the face.
The blow caused Richards to lose momentum as Hughes tipped him in a photo finish for the gold. Both sprinters were credited with a time of 20.12.
Upon official review, however, Hughes was disqualified and Richards upgraded to gold.
The decision is currently being protested by England.
- Countries: Trinidad_Tobago
- Nobel Prize-winning Caribbean author VS Naipaul has died
- TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO | Rowley Reshuffles Cabinet, Young now National Security Minister
- Trinidad and Tobago to discuss Marijuana Legalisation
- T&T | Trinidad economy poised for growth in 2018 says IMF
- JAMAICA | Woman denied entry to T&T complains of inhumane treatment