Richards matched Hughes stride for stride with about 30 metres to go, when Hughes flayed his left arm and smacked Richards in the face.
The blow caused Richards to lose momentum as Hughes tipped him in a photo finish for the gold. Both sprinters were credited with a time of 20.12.
Upon official review, however, Hughes was disqualified and Richards upgraded to gold.
The decision is currently being protested by England.
- Countries: Trinidad_Tobago
- TRINIDAD | Rowley making every effort to protect the CSME
- CARICOM | CSME given new lifeline at 2-day meeting in Port-of-Spain
- CARICOM | ‘If not now when?’ – PM Rowley asks of CSME
- Trinidad and Tobago is a corrupt society claims PM Keith Rowley
- T&T | Rowley wants gas producing countries to develop gas-pricing index