Wiredja Online News Logo

WiredJa Online News

Wiredja Online News Logo

WiredJa Online News

Turks and Caicos | Dispute over Taxes Beaches Turks to close, Sandals Tobago a No-Go.

Featured Beaches Turks and Caicos to close its doors due to a dispute with governmet over taxes Beaches Turks and Caicos to close its doors due to a dispute with governmet over taxes
Providenciales, Turks & Caicos, January 28,2019 - Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa will be closed from September 3rd to October15th in 2019 and from September 7th to October 22, 2020, and then for an indefinite period from January 2021.

A press release from Beaches stated: "The upcoming closures of Beaches Turks & Caicos are the result of several critical and long-standing issues which have impacted our operations over the past several years. We apologize for any inconvenience caused to our customers and look forward to welcoming them back soon."

Guests traveling between now and January 2021 that are not impacted by these closures will receive the vacation experience that we have become known for. All features and facilities of the resort will be open and operating per usual.

For impacted guests, the hotel said it is committed to making this as "seamless as possible" by allowing them to change their travel dates to Beaches Turks & Caicos or travel on their original travel dates to one of its other locations in Jamaica, Beaches Negril or Beaches Ocho Rios, at no additional cost, including airfare change fees.

Guests may also choose to travel to any of the 16 Sandals Resorts.

A story in the Antigua Observer newspaper the impending closure is related to a dispute between Sandals Resort Intertnational and the Government of the Turks and Caicos in relatyion to taxes payable by Sandals. 
 
Government taxes were reportedly calculated in a way that is not sitting well with Sandals which owns the Beaches family resorts.  
 
The calculations by the Ministry of  Finance and backed by the Attorney General's Chambers have reportedly been in dispute for years. The lingering bill in dispute is said to have ballooned to $60 million .
 
In the meantime, the on  again, off again, project to build a Sandals Resort in Tobago is officially off again.
 
Deputy Chairman Mr Adam Stewart and CEO, Mr Gebhard Rainer of Sandals Resorts Inc met with Trinidad and Tobago's Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley and Minister of National Security, Minister of Communications and Minister in the Office of the Prime Minister, the Honourable Stuart Young at the Office of the Prime Minister on January 15, and informed the Trinidad government that the project was off.

At the meeting, the Sandals’ executives informed the Government that unfortunately, due to the cumulative effect of the negative narratives espoused about the pursuit of a Sandals and Beaches Resort in Tobago, the Board of Sandals decided that its resources should be utilised elsewhere at this time.

Mr Stewart and Mr Rainer confirmed that as the parties had not completed any commercial agreements there would be no costs from Sandals for the Government’s account. They thanked the Government and said that it had been a pleasure working with the Prime Minister and Minister Young over the last couple of years and that there was a level of disappointment that the project would not be proceeding.

The Government of Trinidad, said whilst disappointed at this turn of events, it  continues to be committed to the development of Tobago and will continue to look for opportunities for Tobago.



  • Countries: Turks_Caisos_Islands

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.