Minister Kellier will be assisted by Hon. Luther Buchanan, who has been assigned as Minister of State for Agriculture, Labour and Social Security.
In his new assignment, Minister Buchanan will retain responsibility for Rural Development, one of his areas of Ministerial duty while he was Minister of State in the Office of the Prime Minister.
The Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries and the Ministry of Labour and Social Security will continue to be designated as separate Ministries within the Government under the guidance of the Minister and Minister of State.
In making the announcement, Prime Minister Simpson Miller noted that agriculture remains one of the key growth areas within the Government’s economic programme and said the portfolio will continue to receive focused attention at the Ministerial, technical and operational levels.
Meanwhile, Minister Kellier is currently representing the Government of Jamaica at the Caribbean Week of Agriculture (CWA) being held in Paramaribo, Suriname from October 6-12 in collaboration with the Caribbean Community Secretariat.
During the week, farmers, youth and women in agriculture, policy-makers, experts in the field of agriculture and other stakeholders, will participate in activities aimed at charting the Caribbean region’s path in the important sector.
The CWA activities include a special meeting of CARICOM’s Council for Trade and Economic Development (COTED) and discussions involving regional agriculture organisations such as the Caribbean Agricultural Research and Development Institute (CARDI), and the Caribbean Regional Fisheries Mechanism.
- JAMAICA | Government Targets Enhanced Economic Growth Through Agriculture in Second Term
- NIGERIA | Conflict between herders and farmers: Nigeria needs to accept there are victims on both sides
- JAMAICA | $400-Million Programme To Ramp Up Food Production
- JAMAICA | PNP wants long term strategic plan for Agriculture
- Monsanto wins $7.7b lawsuit in Brazil – but farmers’ fight to stop its ‘amoral’ royalty system will continue