Police Servicers Chairman Paul Stowe to file charges in defence of his character
GEORGETOWN, Guyana, May 23, 2021 - Chairman of Guyana’s Police Service Commission, Paul Slowe, is not a happy man. He is extremely disgruntled and upset over charges by the government that he conspired with others to defraud the Guyana Police Force of GYD$10 million and that he sexually assaulted a female police officer.
In a press release issued on Friday by Stowe’s attorney Selwyn Pieters, Stowe, a former Assistant Commissioner of police now retired, said the allegations against him and his colleagues of conspiracy to defraud are false, and that he intends to fight the “false charges” that have been filed against him.
The media release alo indicated that Pieters would be filing a lawsuit against the Police Force for sullying the name of his client. “Mr. Slowe also intends to vindicate his reputation from the defamation that is being peddled,” Mr. Pieters said in the statement.
He rejected the government’s allegations that the review of the Standing Order had already been undertaken by a consultant and the review so Mr. Slowe and several other members of the review team that had been assembled by then Police Commissioner Leslie James received the money for work which was purportedly done. “Work was done on the standing orders. There was no timeline in which the work was to be completed,” he said.
He explained that work was done on the Standing Orders and that there was no timeline in which the work was to be completed as a result of the intervention of the COVID-19 Epidemic.
“The National and Regional Elections held in Guyana on the 2nd of March 2020 caused the process to be suspended. In the lead-up to the elections, the location in which meetings were held became unavailable due to use by the Guyana Police Force for elections purposes. Further, on March 11, 2020, the World Health Organization declared COVID-19 to be a global pandemic. The Election Situation in Guyana which was resolved in August 2020 and the compounding COVID19 pandemic, made meetings to deal with finalization of the Standing Orders not feasible”, “Mr. Slowe said.
Assistant Police Commissioner Royston Andries-Junor, Senior Superintendent of Police Marcelene Washington and Asst. Superintendent Marlon Kellman were charged along with retired senior Officers, Clinton Conway, Claude Whittaker, George Fraser, Mark Gilbert, Michael Sutton, and Paul Slowe for allegedly conspiring with each other and persons unknown to defraud the Guyana Police Force of $10,056,000.
Mr. Slowe said the allegation of sexual assault leveled against him by a female Assistant Superintendent is also false.
“The claim that she reported the matter to Assistant Commissioner Andries-Junor is also false. No touching at any time took place at any meetings Mr. Slowe attended,” The PSC Chairman said.
Slowe, who served the Guyana Police Force for almost four decades, said he is innocent of the charges and will be pleading not guilty.
“Because of the inflammatory manner in which the Guyana Police Force Corporate Communications Unit is peddling these false allegations the public’s record must be set straight and also, to protect the character and careers of Mr. Slowe, members of the Police Service Commission and Senior Police Officers, whose image the Special Organised Crime Unit (SOCU) and Corporate Communications Unit seek to besmirch for collateral purposes having to do with disciplinary matters at the Police Services Commission involving several Senior Superintendents and the promotions of Senior Police Officers that have occupied the Court since January 2021. Mr. Slowe also intends to vindicate his reputation from the defamation that is being peddled,” the statement from the Attorney said.
Slowe suspects the allegations against him may have stemmed from an ongoing police promotion issue.
The Police Service Commission (PSC) under the chairmanship of Slowe has blocked the promotion of several senior ranks including the head of the unit that has filed the charges.