“I wish to register, in the strongest possible terms, our objection to the proposed appointment of Mr. Charandass Persaud as Guyana’s High Commissioner to India. Mr. Persaud does not enjoy the confidence of a large segment of the Guyanese population and is mired in controversy,” Harmon said.
Harmon who indicated that he was writing on behalf of the Opposition party, told India’s Minister of External Affairs, H.E. Subrahmanyam Jaishankar on Thursday the manner in which Persad betrayed his party and government by crossing the floor.
“The people of Guyana who elected him to serve as a Member of Parliament in the APNU/AFC Government continue to be disturbed by his actions in the National Assembly on December 21, 2018, actions which he took of his own accord, without the consultation or consent of the constituency he was elected to represent,” the Opposition Leader pointed out.
“Accordingly, we are of the view that the appointment of Mr. Persaud to such an important portfolio is likely to be viewed by the Guyanese people as a reward for and an endorsement of his treasonous act,” Harmon stated.
“The people of Guyana have always enjoyed cordial relations with the government and people of India and we are concerned that Mr. Persaud’s appointment may place a significant strain on this important relationship,” The Opposition Leader concluded.
- Countries: Guyana
- GUYANA | ExxonMobil cuts oil production by 90,000 barrels per day
- GUYANA | Court of Appeal sets aside explosives conviction, sentence of Donald Rodney
- GUYANA | Chief Justice to deliver decision in Election Petition 88 case on April 26
- GUYANA | 20K doses of Sputnik V vaccine arrives in Guyana
- GUYANA orders US$4 million Russian Sputnik V COVID-19 vaccines