The Prime Minister made the announcement via his Twitter page, saying that, after consultations with the Leader of the Opposition, he had recommended to the Governor General the appointment of Justice Sykes.
This development comes almost a month after Justice Sykes was appointed to act in the post of Chief Justice, upon the retirement of the former Chief Justice, Zaila McCalla.
After consultation with the Leader of the Opposition, I recommended to the Governor- General that the Honourable Mr Justice Bryan Sykes, CD, be appointed Chief Justice of Jamaica, with effect from March 1, 2018.— Andrew Holness (@AndrewHolnessJM) February 28, 2018
The Prime Minister, in making that earlier announcement, said he was awaiting the performance of Justice Sykes in his acting capacity before recommending his appointment to the substantive post of Chief Justice.
"Actions that brings (sic) results will determine the assumption of the role of Chief Justice", the Prime Minister had declared.
That interim arrangement sparked a strong public backlash, with some experts accusing the Prime Minister of breaching the principle of Separation of Power under the Jamaican Constitution.
- Countries: Jamaica
- JAMAICA | Embattled JC Hutchinson removed from Agriculture, Replaced by Leslie Campbell
- JAMAICA | Tablets for Teachers Programme gets Underway
- JAMAICA | Did the Prime Minister Lie? Dr. Phillips Sets Record Straight !!
- JAMAICA | Nightly Islandwide Curfew Extended
- JAMAICA | Corn Piece Community in Clarendon Under Quarantine