The candidates were Nominated yesterday August 18, at designated nomination centres across the island from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm, however, two Jamaica Labour Party candidates were unable to go to the namination centre as they are in quarentine awaiting test results for exposure to the COVID-19 virus.
They are the JLP Candidate for St. Mary Western Robert Montague and the candidate for St. Catherine South Central Dr. Andrew Wheatley.
The commission said the remaining 13 candidates will contest the election independently in the following constituencies:
- St Ann North Western
- Trelawny Northern
- Trelawny Southern
- St James Central
- Westmoreland Central
- Westmoreland Eastern
- Manchester Central
- Clarendon North Western
- St Catherine North Western
- St Catherine South Western
- St Catherine North Central.
The commission noted that of the 139 candidates, 105 are males and 34 are females. The EOJ says it will now intensify preparations for the Special Services Voting Day on Monday, August 31. On that day, Election Day Workers and members of the security forces will cast their ballots.
- Countries: Jamaica
- JAMAICA | Holness Tells First World Countries Not to Turn Inwards During the Covid-19 Pandemic
- BRITAIN | Jamaicans who went to the UK as children will be left off Wednesday’s deportation flight
- JAMAICA | Country wants effective action on crime says Fitz Jackson
- JAMAICA | JetBlue Begins Non-Stop Flights Into Montego Bay From Newark And Raleigh
- JAMAICA | Stiffer Penalties Coming for Breaches of COVID-19 Restrictions