Mr. Robinson said the nation relies on the press to keep our people informed and a matter of the arrival of Jamaicans who were stranded overseas on account of COVID-19 restrictions is of extremely high public interest.
“Barring the press suggests that the government has something to hide. The challenges of this pandemic affect all our people and the arrival of Jamaicans back to their own country is something we all would want to celebrate.” Mr. Robinson said.
He said Jamaicans need to be able to trust their government, especially in a time of crisis and this hiding of the truth and downplaying realities do not help in fostering trust.
The Shadow Minister said press freedom is a hard won ordinance that resides in the right of freedom of expression that no government should tinker with at will.
- Countries: Jamaica
- JAMAICA | PNP wants gov't to remove taxes on tablets, computer devices
- JAMAICA | PM Manley's Misadventures or PM Holness' political disingenuity ?
- JAMAICA | PNP Councillor replaced, so she crossed the floor says Party
- JAMAICA | PNP Expresses Full Confidence in Lisa Hanna
- JAMAICA | PNP wants update on Petrojam Corruption Investigation