Prime Minister Gaston Browne made the announcementlast night, as he introduced the 17 candidates of the party he leads, the Antigua Barbuda Labour Party.
This is one year earlier than the constitutional due date.
Browne says he has called an early election to protect the many projects in the pipeline that the ABLP has planned for 2019.
The Prime Minister says he has advised the governor general to dissolve parliament which will be done on Monday 26th February.
On Tuesday February 27th, the writ of elections will be issued which means he has given the minimum amount of days notice for elections in Antigua and Barbuda.
Meanwhile, in response, United Progressive Party Leader Harold Lovell says the government has called early elections because "things are not normal" and the government has failed to deliver on its manifesto promises.
Lovell said " all of us outside the Browne circke know that "life is harder than ever over the last four years."
He said residents never enjoyed the benefit of low oil prices and neither did they benefit from the Citizenship by Investment Programme.
In addition, Lovell pointed out that Antigua did not enjoy the benefit of increased tourism and the country under-performed on every meaningful indicator of prosperity.
- Countries: Antigua_Barbuda
- Antigua and Barbuda Responds to the eruption of La Soufrière Volcano
- ANTIGUA | PM Gaston Browne wants reparations from Harvard University over ties to Slavery in Antigua
- Bobi Wine has already changed the Ugandan opposition. Can he change the government?
- ANTIGUA | PM Browne cries 'foul' as B'dos and St. Vincent pull LIAT landing rights
- ANTIGUA | Wearing COVID-19 tracking bracelets may soon be mandatory for persons in quarentine
Latest from Calvin G. Brown
- JAMAICA | “We Have to Resurrect the Jamaica Ganja Industry says GGPAJ
- JAMAICA | JA COVID-19 Cases skyrocket to 468 in 24 hours
- SURINAME | Total, Apache make fourth oil, gas discovery off Suriname
- JAMAICA | Revivalism Submitted for UNESCO Inscription Consideration – Grange
- COVID-19: Oxford University vaccine is highly effective