Wiredja Online News Logo

WiredJa Online News

Wiredja Online News Logo

WiredJa Online News

GUYANA | British warns of consequences if Govt is installed on current election results

  • Written by Calvin G. Brown -Wiredja.com
  • Published in Politics
Featured  British Foreign Secretary, Dominic Raab British Foreign Secretary, Dominic Raab
GEORGETOWN, Guyana, March 24, 2020 - Despite President Granger’s insistence that he will not interfere in the deliberations of the Guyana Elections Commission, as it is an independent constitutional body, the western powers continue to warn against the swearing-in of any government on the basis of what they have descrtibed as  “non-credible” results from the March 2, 2020 General elections.

The latest salvo came from British Foreign Secretary, Dominic Raab, who, in a statement this morning, declared that the transition of government in Guyana should only take place in line with “transparent and democratic principles that lead to credible results”.

He added that any government sworn in on the basis of non-credible results “will face strong international condemnation,” adding that if the situation continues to deteriorate, the international response will include a range of serious consequences for those concerned.

The statement added that the United Kingdom remains ready, along with its partners, to assist in ensuring a credible process that provides the democratic outcome that the Guyanese people deserve.

In a statement yesterday, the National Security Council of the United States Government tweeted that “ The US is committed to the Americas becoming the first fully free hemisphere. We stand with the people of #Guyana who want to protect the integrity of their democracy, maintain peace and preserve regional stability while we collectively confront #COVID#19.”

The American, British, Canadian and EU representatives in Guyana have repeatedly expressed concern about the tabulation process for the election results for Region Four, following protests from the opposition PPP.

President David Granger has repeatedly said he was committed to free and fair elections. “I have maintained that the electoral process must be credible. Free and fair elections are essential to representative democracy,” he said in a recent statement.

The President said everyone anticipated that the electoral process would have been completed by this time.

Recognizing the right of anyone to ask the High Court for “judicial review of our electoral laws,” he urged Guyanese to await the decision. “This legal process is ongoing, and we must await the ruling of the Court,” he added.

The High Court is hearing a judicial review of the Guyana Elections Commission’s (GECOM) decision to order a total recount of votes cast in March 2, 2020 elections, although the Returning Officers have already declared their results for Guyana’s 10 districts.

Granger had invited Caribbean Community (CARICOM) Chairman, Barbados’ Prime Minister Mia Mottley to send a team to oversee a recount of the elections. However, as a result of the judicial review, the recount was halted and the team had to withdraw.

“It is clear that there are forces that do not want to see the votes recounted for whatever reason,” said Mottley, as she reacted to the inability of a CARICOM team to oversee a national recount that had been agreed to between Granger and Opposition Leader, Bharrat Jagdeo.

“Any Government which is sworn in without a credible and fully transparent vote count process would lack legitimacy,” Mottley said.

Granger called on Guyanese to respect the role of the Elections Commission and to desist from attacks on the Chairman, Commissioners and members of the Commission.

The Elections Commission has the sole authority for the conduct of General and Regional elections and must be allowed to function independent of political interference, instruction and influence,” he said.

The President said he was not only committed to the Guyana Constitution and the Chairman and members of GECOM but he would also “obey the rulings of the Courts.” “I am confident that these institutions, once allowed to function without interference, will provide a solution to the present situation,” he added.

He again expressed disappointment that the CARICOM High-Level delegation of regional professionals to oversee the recount of ballots cast did not get to do their work.

“I am disappointed that the High-Level team of five departed Guyana this week after efforts towards a ‘total national recount’ were stymied following the granting of an injunction by the Supreme Court. This matter remains before the Court,” he said.

 

 

 

Last modified onThursday, 26 March 2020 16:37
  • Countries: Guyana