Late on Saturday news had emerged that the official count had resulted in the People's National Party's Luther Buchanan and the Jamaica Labour Party's Daniel Lawrence each receiving 4831 votes.
This gave rise to increased tension surrounding the recount, and it was decided to abort the exercise and complete the exercise Sunday morning.
In the end the Returning Officer broke the deadlock by casting the deciding ballot in favour of Mr. Buchanan.
The names of both candidates were placed in a box and the Returning Officer then proceeded to pull out one of them, which happened to be the one bearing Mr. Buchanan's name.
The seat count is now 48 to 15 in favour of the Jamaica Labour Party.
Legal representatives for Mr. Lawrence have reportedly served notice that they intent to apply for a magisterial recount.
- Countries: Jamaica
- JAMAICA | Three more COVID deaths, 155 new cases In Jamaica
- JAMAICA | Jamaica records 7 new COVID-19 deaths, 230 additional cases
- JAMAICA | Detention of Five men under state of Emergency Unconstitutional says Juuge
- JAMAICA | PM Holness, Former PM Patterson pay tribute to DK Duncan
- JAMAICA | Population at risk as Coronavirus now out of control says PNP