"Pocahontas?" Trump replied to a reporter who asked him to comment on Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren's recent set of tweets that strongly condemn Trump's rhetoric.
The slur comes from the fact that Warren has claimed native ancestry, and even reportedly listed herself as a minority when she worked at two prestigious Ivy League schools in the 1980s and 1990s.
There have been claims that she is 1/32 Cherokee, but these are unsubstantiated and wouldn't qualify Warren for membership of any Cherokee tribe.
"She is a senator that is highly overrated, she's passed very little legislation, she's been a real disaster for many people — including the Democrats," Trump commented on the consumer rights' watchdog.
Warren has long been a champion of consumer rights but voted Republican for many years, only beginning to vote Democrat in 1995.
Trump continued: "She said she was Native American, but wasn't able to document it …. she's as Native American as I am."
- UNITED STATES | Trump ready "to undermine American democracy in order to stay in power" says Bernie Sanders
- Who is Kamala Harris, Joe Biden’s pick for vice president?
- The belief that demons have sex with humans runs deep in Christian and Jewish traditions
- The politics behind how governments control coronavirus data
- JAMAICA | Hanna urges talks over Trump's threatened deportations