“The number one priority is to ensure that everyone is safe. I am confident that the Emergency Services are doing whatever is required to make certain that no-one comes to harm. We have already made every resource available to limit the damage to property, and to minimize environmental harm,” said Prime Minister late on Sunday night.
The authorities said that the residents would be housed at the Kendal G. L. Isaacs Gymnasium at Oakes Field and the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has activated its Emergency Management Plan and all available resources have been mobilized.
The authorities said that while it is too early to be certain, it appears that a number of fires were started in the area and because of the high winds currently being experienced on New Providence, at least one of those fires blew across the boundary and ignited the Public Landfill.
Prime Minister Christi, who visited the scene along with the heads of the key emergency services, said the government will reach out to international partners for assistance, if and when the situation warrants it.
- Countries: Bahamas
- BAHAMAS delisted but EU criticised as discrimanatory and arbitrary
- CARICOM | Foreign Ministers Object to EU Financial Blacklisting
- U.S. denies protective status to Bahamas hurricane evacuees
- JAMAICA | JA Soldiers (DART) in the Bahamas Assisting with Recovery Efforts
- Hurricane Dorian targets the Bahamas -Evacuation Ordered from Cays