Microcephaly is a birth defect where a baby’s head is smaller than expected when compared to other babies of the same sex and age. Zika is listed as one of several causes of the condition.
The other causes include chromosomal disorders such as Down’s syndrome, maternal viral infections such as rubella and maternal alcoholism or drug abuse.
Health authorities here said that the microcephaly case was discovered last Friday and brings to four, the number of such cases recorded here.
However, the official say none of the three previous cases was Zika-related.
- Countries: St_Lucia
- IMF Approves US$65.6 Million for Dominica, Grenada, and St. Lucia to Address COVID-19 Pandemic
- COVID-19 UPDATE | Most of Cuba's COVID-19 deaths have been men
- Why the DRC Ebola outbreak was declared a global emergency and why it matters
- Saint Lucia wants parties to the Montreal Protocol to act quickly in addressing global warming
- ST. LUCIA | Attorney calls for putting judicial house in order before CCJ switch