The Chief Justice said she did not find sufficient evidence to convince her to stop the process that is expected to pave the way for the creation of a new voters’ list.
Former Attorney General, and attorney for the plaintiff, Anil Nandlall told reporters that “The CJ (Chief Justice) did not grant the Conservatory Order which we sought to restrain the registration process.” “She said we have not satisfied her that there is enough evidence that GECOM is not acting to hold elections within that timeframe.”
Nandlall, a former Attorney General, is now tasked with laying arguments to prove to the Chief Justice that the ongoing house-to-house registration process would result in the failure of GECOM to hold general elections by September 18, 2019, the new three-month timeframe after the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) ruled that last December’s no-confidence motion was validly passed.
The regional appeal court also said President David Granger and his Cabinet ought to have resigned and he and the government remain in office as a caretaker until elections are held.
Nandlall said after house-to-house registration is completed, there would have to be claims and objections and the creation of a voters list from the National Register. “There is no way that this exercise can be concluded within and for holding elections by September 18,” he added.
He also reiterated that house-to-house registration would result in the removal of eligible voters who are overseas.
- Countries: Guyana
- GUYANA | Police looking overseas for information on Roger Khan; No homicide charges so far
- GUYANA | Trinidadians assure Guyana they're are not coming to take over oil sector
- GUYANA | President Granger heads to Cuba for medical check up
- GUYANA | Granger Says March 2, 2020 is Election Day....but Parliamentary Action Needed
- GUYANA | IMF Gives Guyana the thumbs up in its 2019 Article IV Consultation