He told supporters of his Dominica Labour Party at a public meeting that Parliament would be dissolved on Wednesday November 6, while Nomination Day will be November 19.
Mr. Skerrit, who is seeking to become the first politician in Dominica to win four consecutive general elections, called for voters to ensure the campaign is conducted in an atmosphere of civility and peace.
His main challenge will be the United Workers Party, headed by Opposition Leader Lennox Linton.
Over the past year the DLP and the opposition United Workers Party (UWP) have been actively campaigning for the election constitutionally due in May 2020.
The announcement of the date for the election puts Dominica in uncharted territory since the UWP has stated many times that there will not be an election in Dominica without electoral reform- that is, the cleansing of the voters list and the issuance of voter identification cards.
Skerrit told supporters that he has a clear plan for continued growth and development
“I think the time is right for you to decide.
Not voting is the same as voting for the wrong person,” he told supporters.
- Countries: Dominica
- DOMINICA | Linton refuses to recognise new Skerrit Gov’t; Wants supporters to “rise up”.
- CARICOM | Dominica's election result reflects will of the people says CARICOM
- DOMINICA | Catholic Church condemns confrontation on Bishop, Cardinal
- CARICOM | CARICOM Election Observers now in Dominica
- DOMINICA | Linton's United Workers Party to contest Friday's General Elections