Dr. Phillips said the team’s performance is further evidence of our superior track and field programme which has produced world-class athletes, both at the secondary and national levels.
Our medal tally of 36 gold, 33 silver and 16 bronze medals at these games chronicled yet another historic performance by our junior athletes on the world stage.
He said the continued high-level performance of our athletes reminds us all that we must improve our investment in sports and community development as an area of re-focus for our young people.
He said the hard work and perseverance of our athletes and coaches are validated in their performances at international encounters such as the CARIFTA games.
Dr. Phillips said, the recognition by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) of the ISSA’s Boys and Girls Championships as one of the best sports development programmes for youth in the world is well deserved.
He said the coaching staff, management team and all the athletes combined are applauded for another great showing on the world stage.
The Opposition Leader also extend congratulations to Briana Williams on receiving the prestigious Austin Sealy award for second straight year for her outstanding performances at these championships.
- Countries: Jamaica
- JAMAICA | Auditor General asked to audit RADA Farm Roads Rehabilitation Programme
- JAMAICA | Parties mourns the passing of former Parliamentarians Douglas Vaz and Wendell Stewart
- JAMAICA | PNP wants update on all corruption investigations says Phillips
- JAMAICA | Phillips tells new shadow cabinet: Be Prepared
- JAMAICA | Phillips Promise to tackle Corruption, Education and Land Reform