In a statement to the media, Dr. Campbell said the statistics quoted by the Ministry of Health do not paint a true picture of the impact that Dengue and Dengue Haemorrhagic fever are having on the nation.
Dr Campbell noted that overcrowding at some of our major hospitals and health centres can cause delay in the management of cases of dengue and dengue hemorrhagic fever and people can die as a result of the delays.
Dr Campbell noted that he failed to see how the Ministry could say there was no increase in admissions at the hospitals as it was a known fact that admissions to those facilities increased in the respiratory illnesses.
Dr Campbell expressed alarm that due to overcrowding at the Bustamante Hospital for Children (BHC), there are children with respiratory problems being housed in buildings under construction. These inhumane conditions are unacceptable for our children with respiratory illnesses.
The opposition spokesman stated the response to a known period of overcrowding in our nation’s hospitals is reactive and could have grave implications on the health of our population.
Dr Campbell stated that at Victoria Jubilee Hospital (VJH) elective obstetric surgeries are delayed due to staff shortage and the non-functionality of an operating theatre.
At VJH elective lifesaving Gynae surgeries are done once every five weeks due to a non-functional operating suite.
Dr Campbell stated that ventilators are in short supply at the Kingston Public Hospital and this has affected the number of surgeries done.
The opposition spokesman stated that the issues facing the Health sector are equal to reduced access to health care and tantamount to dereliction of duty by the Minister and the Government.
Dr Campbell is calling on the Minister and the ministry to propeely brief the nation on the true impact of dengue and dengue haemorrhagic fever to include:
1. The ministry’s plan to address the dengue outbreak
2. State the short and medium term plans to address overcrowding in hospitals
3. Address the situation at BHC where children are housed with ongoing construction
4. Immediately address the equipment and staff crisis at Kph/ VJH in respect of life saving surgeries.
- Countries: Jamaica
- JAMAICA | Cabinet Grants Official Funeral for Former Ministers Pringle, Nelson
- Jamaica Welcomed 4.31 Million Visitors in 2018
- JAMAICA | Holness laments the extent of violent crimes affecting Jamaica
- JAMAICA | Stadium East Running Track under repair, plans for two additional tracks advanced
- JAMAICA | JLP questions PNP's patriotism in its response to Govt's expropriation plan