The time is unofficially a Texas state record as Full Automatic Timing and a wind gauge were used at the meet.
A video of the race was posted on the Austin Track Club’s Instagram page. It showed Powell racing against what seemed to be local athletes who were clearly no match for the elite sprinter.
Powell’s feat came the same day compatriot Usain Bolt dipped below 10 seconds for the first time in a truncated season. Bolt hit the line in 9.98 seconds in Warsaw, Poland.
Former world recorder holder Powell was only allowed back into competition in June after the Court Arbitration for Sport suspended an 18-month ban imposed on him after he tested positive for the stimulant Oxilofrine at the National Championships in June 2013.
The CAS eventually reduced the ban, clearing the way for the 31-year-old Powell to resume competition immediately.
Powell’s previous best this season was 10.02s in Brazil on August 10.
Latest from Calvin G. Brown
- GUYANA | PPP's Irfaan Ali vows to send Granger into retirement
- GUYANA | "Guyanese will never be poor again" declares Granger
- Venezuelan Opposition Rejects Juan Guaido's Leadership
- GUYANA | ExxonMobil begins oil production in Guyana
- SVG Signs MOU to improve information sharing in Customs Law Enforcement